Greensboro's Treasured Places
Greensboro's Colleges and Universities
Greensboro enjoys one of the most diverse collections of collegiate architecture in the South, representing nearly 175 years of campus landscape design, parks, architecture, sculpture, and engineering.
Earliest campuses including Guilford College (1837) and Greensboro College (1838) portray two differing approaches to campus planning prevalent in the early nineteenth century. Though Greensboro College's monumental "Main Building" dominates its campus in a manner popular for the time, Guilford College's planners took the unusual step of featuring a heavily landscaped park as the centerpiece of that campus. Though original buildings have been lost at both campuses, the order and arrangement of buildings has been preserved to illustrate the wide ranging philosophy of each institution.
The architecture of Bennett College for Women illustrates America's growing interest in Colonial design early in the twentieth century. When the campus was redesigned in the 1920s, architects took cues from Georgian architecture of the Colonial period. Odis Clay Poundstone's Annie Merner Pfeiffer Chapel exemplifies Georgian design with rounded arches, pedimented portico and "box-on-box" steeple.
North Carolina's most impressive Victorian era educational building stands at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. The Julius I. Foust Building was designed by the local firm Epps & Hacket in 1891-92 in Romanesque Revival style. Inspired by the fortified architecture of the medieval period, the Foust Building features three-story towers, round arched arcades, and decorative stone and brickwork. Other buildings on the UNCG campus are designed in Colonial Revival, Modernist, and Post-Modern styles.
Though established in 1891, the North Carolina Agricultural and Technical University campus features an impressive collection of mid-twentieth century modernist buildings that include Art Deco, NeoGeorgian, and Modernist designs. The period after World War II witnessed rapid growth of the university, and many buildings were erected during that period of time. Illustrative of the campus's forward looking design is Frazier Hall, constructed in 1960. The building features a stylized monumental portico upon a clean masonry walls that reflect modernism's mantra "less is more."
Newest to Greensboro is the Elon University School of Law. Opening in 2006, the school is housed in one of Greensboro's most important modernist-era landmarks. The main building was designed as the Greensboro Public Library in 1960 by Greensboro architect Edward Loewenstein, an MIT trained designer who contributed numerous forward-looking buildings to the city. Loewenstein partnered with artist Gregory Ivey to create a series of relief panels across the facade of the building that depict abstracted forms, shapes, and shadows. In addition, the duo incorporated a variety of aggregate wall surfaces, colors, and plantings to enliven the human scale of the structure. Elon University purchased the building in 2005, and completed a meticulous restoration the building's exterior facade.